Skip to content
Utah Insurance

Self-Funded Health Benefit Plans

If you work for a large employer, your health benefit plan may not be underwritten by an insurance company. Many large employers provide health benefits for their employees through self-funded plans, although many of these employers hire insurance companies to administer the plans. Federal law exempts self-funded employer plans from state insurance regulation. This means that our office can only offer advice and will generally have no authority over such plans or their administration.

If your health benefit plan is a self-funded plan, please contact the Employee Benefits Security Administration at (866) 444-3272 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Tell the person that you are from Utah and have a health claim issue.

If your complaint does not involve a self-funded health benefit plan, go back to File A Complaint.